Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A cross between Salsa and Cowboy Caviar made using caned fire roasted tomatoes as right now tomatoes are out of season and looked like yuk-o as well as being more than a little pricy. 30 minute stand time not showing in prep or cook time.
- 15 ounces black-eyed peas, canned rinsed, drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced fire-roasted tomatoes, well drained
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- salt and black pepper
- Combine all ingredients. Let stand 20-30 minutes before serving.
I made this to use with the Tamale Hash recipe. Fantastic favor. The fire-roasted diced tomatoes are key to the flavor in this one!
This was easy to prepare...I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't taste the earthy flavor of the black eye peas...they got lost in all the other flavors...I think next time I won't rinse them...just drain them...overall a yummy dish that I served with Frito scoops...
Delicious! We had this with tortilla chips while watching some TV and couldn't stop eating it. Unfortunately I didn't have fire roasted so I just used canned tomatoes with diced chilies in it. Made for Newest Star Tag Game 2013.