Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a filling main dish salad that is perfect to bring to work for lunch (you can pack the dressing separately). The beans have an earthy flavor that is balanced by a sweet and sour vinaigrette. The salad also has crunch from a mix of iceberg lettuce and green cabbage and more earthy crunch from red radish slivers.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, coarsely shredded
- 1⁄4 head green cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup red radish, cut in half lengthwise then into thin halfmoons
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a serving bowl, or divide among individual plates.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine.
The recipe surprised me in a nice way. I liked the dressing more than expected and already have plans to try it on a confetti style salad. I liked the salad, but thought the cabbage would be much better finely shredded for better texture. I also thought the recipe had room for additional salad ingredients such as red or green onions and red or yellow peppers. I would also marinate the peas in the dressing next time for extra flavor. good luck in the contest!
This made a very filling lunch and had a wonderful crunch with just a little bite from the radishes. DH said he really enjoyed the sauce. I used the food processor to finely shred both the cabbage and the Iceberg lettuce, and then layered it onto severing plates. Thanks for the post.
I made half the amount. Cabbage and lettuce should be stated in cup amounts because size of the heads varies a lot. That being said the salad needed more dressing. It was also missing something. I suggest cilantro or parsley, bell peppers some grated onion or better yet scallions a touch of garlic. After tasting I added extra vinegar, cilantro, garlic and scallion I didn't have the iceberg so I used a mix of baby greens. Thank you.