Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 min
A Southern tradition. Serve over sliced tomatoes or with flat bread, if you like. From "Food and Wine" magazine.
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas or 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 4 green onions, sliced thin (green parts only)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- Cover peas with water, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat; simmer until peas are tender, about 45 minutes, drain.
- Heat oil in a skillet, over medium heat, cook onions until softened, season with salt, then continue cooking until lightly browned, 8 minutes; transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, roast bell pepper, in the oven, until it begins to char; let cool, peel, seed, and cut into 1/4 inch dice.
- In a saucepan, boil salted water, blanch celery 30 seconds; drain and rinse with cold water.
- To the bowl with the onions, add mayonnaise, vinegar, fold in black eyed peas, bell pepper, celery, and green onions; season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce to taste.
This salad was really good, especially wrapped in flat bread. Like another reviewer, I sauteed the onion and celery together versus dirtying another pan to boil the celery. I realized I only had a green bell pepper and was in a hurry so I just diced up a jarred roasted red bell pepper. I used canned beans, therefore I skipped step one. I liked the combination of mayo and cider vinegar and definitely thought the recipe benefitted from the addition of hot sauce. This came together in snap and made for a flavorful sandwich filling that I enjoyed. Thanks! Made for ZWT9.
ok i cheated i just sauted the trinity together ,and fished beans out of the crock pot before i made other recipe and i can eat my beans cold in this weather thats a plus im not sure about mayo for me next time,i think oil and vinegar is enough,cause it gives it a muddy look, tastes good though zwt9