1/3 Photos of Black-Eyed Pea Salad
1 hr 5 mins
From Food and Wine magazine, 9/10 issue. Chef Kevin Gillespie, who draws on his Southern roots to create dishes, often serves this over thinly sliced tomatoes. I substituted rice vinegar for the cider vinegar and used jarred roasted red peppers, because that is what I had handy, and just forgot about the Tabasco sauce, but still thought this was tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 4 large scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce, for seasoning
- 1In a saucepan, cover the black-eyed peas with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain.
- 2Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- 3Roast the bell pepper directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until charred. Let cool. Peel and seed. Cut into 1/4 inch dice.
- 4In a small saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the diced celery for 30 seconds. Drain and refresh under cold water and drain again.
- 5Add the mayonnaise and vinegar to the onion. Fold in the black-eyed peas, bell pepper, celery and scallions.
- 6Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- 7Chill before serving (although I thought it very nice while still warm).
- 8Note: Jarred roasted peppers are perfectly fine. If you do not have a sweet onion, chop a regular onion and pour hot water over it. Let it stand ten minutes, then drain. This reduces the "bite".
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.3
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 38.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: