Recipe by Pesto lover
This is a colorful and tasty salad for summer. It's nice for potlucks. The beets are optional, but I like the sweetness they add to the salad.
Top Review by karky
This salad was excellent. I really liked the flavors, so did DH, I think this is the first time we have eaten black eyed peas cold and we were very pleasantly suprised at how good this was. Will definitely be making this again.
- 1 lb black-eyed peas, dried or 2 (1 lb) cans black-eyed peas
- 10 radishes, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1 cup canned shoestring beet, drained and chopped (optional)
- 4 ounces red wine vinegar
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in 3 qts water.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Put beans in 4 qt pan and cover with water. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook beans until tender.
- Drain beans, rinse with cold water and place in large bowl.
- When beans are cool, mix with other salad ingredients.
- Make dressing and pour over salad.
- This tastes best if refrigerated for at least 2 hours, so that flavors meld.