Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is an adaption of one that I found awhile back. It has quickly become one of DH's favorites. It can be made several hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator. Please note that the cooking time is the minimum recommended time to chill the salad before serving.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄4 finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 medium roma tomato, diced
- In a medium size bowl, combine the peas, celery, onion and jalapeno pepper.
- In a small dish, whish together the oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and Tabasco sauce.
- Pour the dressing over the peas and mix well; cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Just before serving, add the diced tomato and stir to combine.
Fabulous. Great taste, excellent texture. Could do with a little more Tabasco than mentioned, but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.
I have made this several times and we love it. A great way to eat black eyed peas. I often double the recipe and add bell pepper instead of jalapeno (for the kids). The leftovers keep well. Thanks!
I had a lonely can of black eyed peas in my cupboard that I needed to use up. This was definitely healthy and had a good amt of heat. I would probably omit the celery next time as I am not a huge fan and I could do without the tomato. I really think the balsamic and mayo worked well together. I wish they had half stars as this is a 3.5 in my book for my taste. Thanks for an easy recipe PaulaG!