Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a salad, I got from Guy Fieri's Collection on the Cooking Network Site. I have put it together for our New Years Day Buffet, I doubled the recipe and used a half of red, yellow and orange bell peppers. I also tossed in approx 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro. Tomorrow with the leftovers I might toss in a chopped jalapeno for zip.
- 1⁄2 cup blackeyed peas, dried and rinsed
- kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup Spanish olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- kosher salt and pepper
- Put the peas in a sauce pan with 3 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Bring to boil and cook 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Drain, then return to the saucepan with 1 cup fresh water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool in liquid.
- Meanwhile, put the rice in another saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water and the garlic.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook 16 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool, then fluff with fork.
- Whisk the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, honey, cilantro, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp of pepper in a nonreactive bowl.
- Adjust the seasoning to suit your tastes.
- Drain the peas and toss with the rice in a large bowl.
- Add onion, bell pepper and olives, then add the dressing and toss. Refrigerate until read to serve.