Great side dish or appetizer. I am ALWAYS asked for this recipe whenever I serve it. This is a fusion recipe that has taken some tasty ingredients from many areas. Use a processor to make the chopping easy and fast. Seems like a lot of ingredients but most are just spices that are normal pantry staples. This goes together very quickly and is really easy to take to pot lucks or picnics. Stores and keeps really well too.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can sweet corn or 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 hot pepper, diced fine, I use a jalapeno (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain liquid from canned items and combine all ingredients.
- Chill overnight or for several hours.
- Serve with tortilla chips or pita chips.
Tasty make-ahead lunch for traveling. Thank you!
dcan i rate again... this is so awesome. ...don't nee to use veggies you dont want.. i do 1 16 oz. black eyed peas, 16 oz. corn, 4 0z. green chilies, 8 oz chopped black olives, 14 oz diced tomatoes plus jalapeno and spices with dressing... YUMMY
I made half of this recipe for a snack with chips. My kids enjoyed it a lot. It has wonderful flavor and it's full of great veggies they enjoy. Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.