Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and well drained
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Combine minced garlic and chiles in a large bowl. Place 1 teaspoon garlic mixture in a small bowl; set aside. Add peas to remaining garlic mixture in large bowl; mash mixture with a potato masher. Stir in bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and egg, stirring until well blended.
- Divide mixture into 12 equal portions (about 1/4 cup each), shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and 6 patties.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, chopped tomato, and fresh lime juice to the reserved garlic mixture in bowl; stir well. Serve with patties.