Recipe by TadGhostal
This is a recipe my mom used to make growing up. This being a southern staple, the ingredients from recipe to recipe will vary. Experiment to perfection! Note: I highly recommend serving this with the wonderful Cucumber Salad (#51721)
Top Review by Chef Jantzen's Mom
1 TABLESPOON of black pepper is too much. I was looking for a similar recipe that I had tasted years ago and this was NOT it. The pepper was so overbearing, could not eat it.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup cornbread stuffing mix (or cornbread)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the chopped onion in a bit of oil until translucent, then remove.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (including the sauteed onion).
- Mash mixture (I use a large fork) until about half of the peas are completely mashed.
- Mold into patties about 2-3 inches across and 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
- In a skillet, heat about 1/2 inch oil on med-high.
- When the oil is hot, add patties.
- Cook until a medium brown crust forms on bottom (2-3 minutes), then turn and repeat.
- Remove to paper towel to absorb grease.
- Drizzle Ranch Dressing and your favorite barbecue sauce over the tops and serve.