1/2 Photos of Black-Eyed Pea Masala
2 hrs 25 mins
This is a recipe that I adapted from a recipe my MIL made while I was in India. It is FABULOUS, and is even served for breakfast quite often in her house! (I could eat it for every meal LOL) I donut know the actual name of the chilies they use, but at home I generally use either 2 of the small chiles labeled "hot green chiles" from the market, or I use serranos. The ginger I generally just run over my microplane.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or 1/3 cup ghee
- 1 -2 green chili, minced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 4 1/2 teaspoons curry powder or 4 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup freshly chopped tomato
- salt, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas, soaked in water for 3-4 hours
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1Drain your peas.
- 2Heat oil/ghee (allow to melt) in a medium heavy pot over medium heat and fry chiles, garlic, onion, and ginger for approx 6 minutes.
- 3Add your curry powder/garam masala, turmeric and cumin, and then add the tomatoes.
- 4Cook for approximately 3 minutes until it begins to thicken and add your peas and salt to taste, along with 4 cups of water.
- 5Allow water to boil and then reduce your heat, cover and cook for approximately 2 hours until your peas are done and the sauce is nice and thick.
- 6After the peas are done, fold in your yogurt (may wish to use a little more or little less to your tastes) and cilantro, and serve.
- 7This goes well with rice or with chappati/roti.
- 8Garnish with minced cilantro.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black-Eyed Pea Masala
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.0
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 19.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: