Recipe by James Craig
I know I found this in a magazine or newspaper, but I don't know which one. I thought the recipe sounded wonderful but with the addition of the Creole Sauce, I thought it would be extraordinarily delicious.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cracker crumbs
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Ingredients for Creole Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Black Eyed Pea Loaf:.
- Cook peas with ham, Tabasco, and water.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 35 minutes or until well done.
- Drain, reserve 1 cup liquid.
- Combine peas, 1 cup liquid and remaining ingredients.
- Stir well until well blended.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until firm.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Serve with Creole Sauce.
- Creole Sauce: Sauté green pepper and onion in butter in a medium saucepan over low heat until tender.
- Add mushrooms with liquid, tomato juice, catsup, Worcestershire sauce; stir well.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water, stirring until well blended.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Yield 2 cups.