- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, with liquid
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onion, pepper, and celery until tender.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and mix in rice, black-eyed peas with liquid, diced tomatoes and green chiles, diced tomatoes, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender. Add water if soup is too thick.