Recipe by Rise`
This is SO simple, either crock pot or stovetop! A friend of mine served this a few weeks ago on a very cold Sunday and I've made it three times since! Spice it up or tone it down as you like. I like spicy foods so I add a lot of Tabasco? to my bowl! Some people like to add okra as well for the real gumbo look...I hope you enjoy this!
Top Review by Just Cher
People this is sooooooooooo good. I confess I used a can or ranch style pinto beans and a can of blackbeans with peppers as we do not care for blackeyed peas. But I knew by reading all the rest of the ingredients that it would be a hit. Wonder flavor and spiced just right with louisiana hot sauce. Add cornbread and your in heaven. Will do this many times for sure!
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style black-eyed peas with jalapenos
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Rotel will spice it up more)
- 1 lb sausage links (preferably with jalapenos)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 bell pepper
- celery (optional)
- 2 (7 ounce) bags 10-minute Success rice (cooked)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice bell pepper, celery (dice if you prefer) and uncooked sausage.
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT RICE in a crock pot (this will fill a 3 quart crock pot).
- Cook on high for at least 3 hours then add cooked rice* and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- If you make this on the stove top the cooking time will be approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- *I leave the rice out and allow each person to put in as much as they like in their bowl and pour the gumbo over it.
- IF there is any left over, I add the remaining rice.
- If it is needing additional broth the next day, I add tomato juice or tomato sauce (juice works the best).