Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make and share this Black Eyed Pea Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a large skillet over medium heat until beef is browned, stirring until it crumbles; drain.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, and soda in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, and oil, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in ground beef mixture, peas, and remaining ingredients; pour into a lightly greased 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
Well, now I know why this has so many high ratings-it's delicious. I did cut way back on the salt but otherwise followed the recipe. We enjoyed it immensely w/ Mixed Green Chowder Mixed Greens Chowder.
This was wonderful, we couldn't stop eating it. I was thinking of adding a can of Rotel tomatoes the next time I make it. I am going to add more cheese too. Thanks Nurse Di for another fabulous recipe.