Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in a Southern Living Magazine. It's a great dip to serve to a group of friends while watching a football game!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese
- 5 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 (15 7/8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven; add onions and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add cheese and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until melted.
- Stir in peppers and peas.
- Cook stirring often until thoroughly heated.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
I made this dip for a group watching the Outback Bowl (on New Year's Day). Everyone seemed to love it. One guy got a plate of chips and poured the dip over them. I used half a large onion as Suzanne suggested (it was still a lot of onion but not too much). I also used one 4 oz can of chopped jalapeno and one of chopped chilis instead of fresh. Next time, I will make it a bit more chucky - maybe with mushrooms? Thanks!
I made this last year for a party. I would make it again, but I wouldn't use that much onion again! I love onions myself, but it was too much for some people.