Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 -2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- In a saucepan, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon; crumble and set aside.
- Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings; saute celery, onion, green bell pepper and garlic until tender.
- Add bacon and remaining ingredients; cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
I made this chowder for New Year's Day but forgot to review it. A real winner we thought. Had some of that great creole spicy seasoning that we could definitely taste. Of course I believe bacon makes anything taste good and this was no exception. Had that wonderful smoky flavor. Hopefully, after eating your chowder, we will have good luck this year. My family and I thank you.
For some reason we didn't care for this at all, just a taste preference.
I was looking for a different black-eyed peas dish for new year's day, and this was great! I sauteed the veggies then put everything in the crock pot on low for 3 hours. I also added a half cup of uncooked rice to the mixture.