Top Review by sarabeth123
I made this chowder for New Year's Day but forgot to review it. A real winner we thought. Had some of that great creole spicy seasoning that we could definitely taste. Of course I believe bacon makes anything taste good and this was no exception. Had that wonderful smoky flavor. Hopefully, after eating your chowder, we will have good luck this year. My family and I thank you.
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 -2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon; crumble and set aside.
- Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings; saute celery, onion, green bell pepper and garlic until tender.
- Add bacon and remaining ingredients; cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.