1/1 Photo of Black Eyed Pea & Chorizo Hummus (Zwt-8)
On the same dy I signed up for ZWT-8, I stumbled across this recipe by Chef Kenny Gilbert in a random browsing moment. Chef Gilbert competed on Season 7 of Top Chef & is the executive chef of the 50 Eggs Restaurant Group. It was described as a make-ahead appy & Wikipedia surprised me w/the info that black-eyed peas & tahini are both common in Indian cuisine. Hummus is a fave w/us, this is certainly a unique variation of it & the make-ahead aspect always gets my attention. (10 min was allowed for ingredient prep) *Enjoy!*
My Private Note
Cup Ser ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat med-sized sauce pot on med-high heat. Add chorizo to render fat & brown.
- 2Reduce heat to med. Add onions + garlic & cook until tender (about 5 min).
- 3Add cans of black eyed peas w/their liquid & bring mixture to a boil. Cook for 2 min & reduce to a simmer. Reduce liquid by half.
- 4Add cream cheese, tahini, cumin, lemon juice, parsley & lemon zest. Combine well.
- 5Transfer mixture to a food processor (or blender) to puree (I will use my hand-held blender for this). Drizzle in olive oil slowly. Puree until smooth (for about 5 min). Remove & refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 6*To Serve* - Garnish w/a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, parsley or a sprinkle of paprika. Serve w/grilled bread & raw veggies for dipping.
- 7*Note* - The recipe said it served 4, but I see it as much closer to serving 6 as an appy.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Eyed Pea & Chorizo Hummus (Zwt-8)
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.7
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 154.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: