Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In our town, we have some businesses where the employees get together and publish there own recipe book. This is from one of those books. My older sister submitted this recipe probably 10 years ago.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 (15 ounce) cansjalapeno black-eyed peas (2 drained, 1 not )
- 2 cups cooked MINUTE rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- grated cheese (optional)
- Brown meat and drain, add onions and cook untul translucent. In a 9x13 inch baking dish, mix all ingredients except cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Top with cheese if desired.
This was loved even by those who don't like black eyed peas. I couldn't find the peas with jalapeno, so I added a 7oz can of chopped green chilies. I also accidently forgot the rice, but it was still good (no leftovers). I made it earlier in the day & refrigerated til later, just cooked a little longer to heat thoroughly and I did add the shredded cheese. Thanks for a great recipe.
This was a great dish!!! Everyone that has tried it likes it. Its something different and i like the kick that it has to it.
Great recipe! My husband REALLY liked this. I have an teensie-eensie embarrassing confession to make though. I was so busy looking for black eyed peas WITH jalepenos (which I couldn't find by the way), that I accidentally bought purple hull peas instead. Didn't realize it till I was making the casserole an hour ago. But- it still turned out fantastic. I ended up adding about a Tbsp of diced jalepenos to make up. Thanks for a great recipe. :-) Made for Spring 2010 PAC.