Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Betty Crocker.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small jalapeno chile, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, if desired
- Heat oven to 375°F In 10-inch skillet, cook beef, seasoned salt, white pepper, bell pepper, jalapeño and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.
- Stir black-eyed peas, tomatoes, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder into beef mixture.
- Spoon beef mixture into ungreased rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients. Pour evenly over beef mixture.
- Bake casserole 40 to 50 minutes or until light golden.