Recipe by Lizzie-Babette
Interesting twist to black-eyed peas. Makes a nice appetizer/first course, especially if you have a southwestern theme to a dinner.
Top Review by Mymble76
I loved these so much. I added jalapenos to the batter and a couple of cloves of garlic. I will definitely continue making these and playing with the ingredients. They were a big hit. Thanks so much for this great recipe. I used frozen black eyed peas from the freezer section to cut down on my cooking time (45 minutes for the frozen variety).
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup milk (whole, preferably)
- 1⁄2 cup finely-chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno chile
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (about)
- your favorite mild salsa or hot salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Put dried peas in medium pot and add enough cold water to cover by 3 inches; let stand overnight.
- Drain peas.
- Put peas and 3 c water in pot over medium low heat.
- Cover and simmer until peas are tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- Drain peas, reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid.
- Transfer 1 1/4 c peas to food processor and puree until smooth, adding reserved cooking liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, to help blend.
- Transfer puree to a large bowl.
- Add milk, onion, lime juice, hot pepper sauce and remaining whole peas.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and baking soda, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Mix in egg.
- Cover and chill batter 30 minutes.
- Mix sour cream and jalapeño chilies in small bowl.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Heat 1/2 t oil in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Using 1 1/2 T batter for each cake, spoon batter into skillet.
- Cook until bubbles on top of cakes break and batter is almost set, about 3 minutes.
- Turn cakes over and cook until cooked through.
- Transfer cakes to baking sheet; keep warm in very low oven.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil to skillet as needed, making 24 cakes.
- To serve, spoon salsa onto plates, arranging 4 cakes alongside salsa on each plate.
- Top with sour cream mixture and serve.