From Brunos.com, I substituted collard greens for the cilantro
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, plus additional for dusting
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- salt and pepper
- 1Cook peppers in butter in a large sauté pan until softened.
- 2Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- 3Transfer 1/3 of pepper mixture to a bowl and cool.
- 4Stir mayonnaise into reserved 1/3 cup red pepper mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- 5Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 6Mash half of peas with fork.
- 7Stir in remaining peas.
- 8Stir remaining pepper mixture into peas with breadcrumbs, cilantro, eggs, cumin and salt.
- 9Scoop mixture into hands and form into patties.
- 10Dip patties into cornmeal, one at a time and turn to gently coat.
- 11Chill patties, covered on a tray line with wax paper, for at least 30 minutes.
- 12Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a sauté pan and cook cakes until golden, about 3 minutes on each side.
- 13Place cakes, as cooked, on paper towels to drain.
- 14Serve with red pepper mayo.
- 15Helpful Hint: If making the cakes in advance, reheat in middle of 400° oven until hot, about 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Eyed Pea Cakes and Red Pepper Mayo
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.0
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 835.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 14.1 g