Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Brunos.com, I substituted collard greens for the cilantro
Make and share this Black Eyed Pea Cakes and Red Pepper Mayo recipe from Food.com.
- 4 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal, plus additional for dusting
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- salt and pepper
- Cook peppers in butter in a large sauté pan until softened.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Transfer 1/3 of pepper mixture to a bowl and cool.
- Stir mayonnaise into reserved 1/3 cup red pepper mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Mash half of peas with fork.
- Stir in remaining peas.
- Stir remaining pepper mixture into peas with breadcrumbs, cilantro, eggs, cumin and salt.
- Scoop mixture into hands and form into patties.
- Dip patties into cornmeal, one at a time and turn to gently coat.
- Chill patties, covered on a tray line with wax paper, for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a sauté pan and cook cakes until golden, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Place cakes, as cooked, on paper towels to drain.
- Serve with red pepper mayo.
- Helpful Hint: If making the cakes in advance, reheat in middle of 400° oven until hot, about 5 minutes.