Recipe by breezermom
Southerner's typically serve black-eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck. The tradition is to serve it with greens (symbolizing money and wealth). I typically make black eyed peas cooked with bacon or salt pork, and throw a penny in....the person that gets the penny is guaranteed good luck for the new year. This is a way to use up those leftover black eyed peas.
Top Review by Chocolatl
Interesting recipe. I found these to be a little dry, but that could have been my peas. The cakes had a very good flavor, though. DH melted some cheese over his, and liked them a lot. Thanks for posting!
- 3⁄4 cup purple onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 cups black-eyed peas, cooked and drained or 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped (half amount if using dried)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the purple onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Remove from heat; set aside, and let it cool slightly.
- Mash the black-eyed peas in a large bowl. Add the onions, red bell pepper, and jalapeno to the black-eyed peas. Add the breadcrumbs, egg yolks, cilantro, garlic, cumin, mustard, oregano, thyme, and salt. Stir well. Shape the mixture into 12 2-1/2 inch patties. Dredge the patties in cornmeal.
- Fry half of the patties in 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side (depending on the heat of your stove), or until lightly browned. Transfer to a serving plate; set aside, and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining patties and other 2 tbsp oil.
- Top each patty with 1 tbsp sour cream; sprinkle with green onions. Serve with salsa.