Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Got this recipe from Southern Living. I served these at one of our BBQs and they were a big hit.
Top Review by Caryn Dalton
EDITED REVIEW: Just comments because I must have done something wrong...I couldn't keep the cakes to stay together. In the end, I just refridgerated the mixture in the bowl for one hour then dropped the cold mixture by spoonfuls into a hot pan I sprayed with cooking oil spray. They were hard to flip over(a small spatula will help) but eventually browned and firmed nicely. Similar in texture to salmon patties. The taste is similar to humus. Thank you for posting.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed,drained,and divided
- 1 (8 ounce) container chive & onion cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Tabasco)
- 1 (8 ounce) package hush puppy mix with onion
- olive oil
- sour cream
- green tomato relish
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in 1 T hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender.
- Process onion, 1 can of peas, and next 4 ingredients in a blender until mixture is smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in hush puppy mix, and gently fold in remaining can of peas.
- Shape mixture by 2 T into 3-inch patties.
- Place patties on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Cook patties, in batches, in 3 T hot oil, adding oil as needed, in a large skillet over medium heat for 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until patties are golden brown.
- Drain patties on paper towels, and keep warm.
- Serve with desired toppings.