Got this recipe from Southern Living. I served these at one of our BBQs and they were a big hit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed,drained,and divided
- 1 (8 ounce) container chive & onion cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Tabasco)
- 1 (8 ounce) package hush puppy mix with onion
- olive oil
- sour cream
- green tomato relish
- 1Saute onion in 1 T hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender.
- 2Process onion, 1 can of peas, and next 4 ingredients in a blender until mixture is smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- 3Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- 4Stir in hush puppy mix, and gently fold in remaining can of peas.
- 5Shape mixture by 2 T into 3-inch patties.
- 6Place patties on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- 7Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 8Cook patties, in batches, in 3 T hot oil, adding oil as needed, in a large skillet over medium heat for 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until patties are golden brown.
- 9Drain patties on paper towels, and keep warm.
- 10Serve with desired toppings.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Eyed Pea Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (1248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 56.3
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.3 mg
- Sodium 155.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hush puppy mix with onion