Recipe by Heather Nauta
This black-eyed peas burrito recipe is so easy to make that you will never need to buy a packaged burrito again! Using fresh ingredients and making them yourself means you know exactly what is going into your food, you avoid preservatives and you get the nutrients from the fresh vegetables.
- 6 tortillas
- 1 (14 ounce) can black-eyed peas or 1⁄2 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- If you are using dried peas, they must be fully cooked before you begin. Black-eyed peas can be soaked overnight to make them more easily digestible, but this is not necessary. Drain the peas, and then add enough water to cover them by 2 inches.
- Gently boil them for 1 hour with NO salt. You can add a bit of kombu (seaweed) to the cooking water while they boil for improved digestibility.
- If you are using canned, look for a can that does not have any salt listed in the ingredients. Some varieties are actually cooked with kombu, which is ideal. Be sure to rinse and drain the beans before using them.
- Heat a large pan to medium, add olive oil and saute onion until softened. Add garlic, and saute briefly. Next, add the zucchini to the pan and saute until soft. The pepper goes in next, then the tomato very briefly. As soon as the tomato is warmed, add the spices and 1 tsp of the salt. Stir the drained peas into the vegetables, and add the other tsp of salt. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the mix into the middle of each tortilla, fold in both ends and roll. Place the rolls in a baking dish and put in the oven at 300 degrees F for 15-20 minute.