Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
This is based on a recipe from Vegetarian Times. Very delicious, easy and cheap.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- Place the drained peas in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in skillet, add garlic, chilies, and cumin.
- Saute about 2 minutes, then add onion and corn.
- Reduce heat to medium, sauté until onions are very translucent and corn is thawed.
- Place in bowl with peas, mash with immersion blender and mash, it is OK if some peas and other items remain whole.
- Let cool and add bread crumbs, stir.
- Add flour and form into 4 patties on waxed paper.
- Heat skillet on medium heat, spray each burger with cooking spray.
- Cook on each side until golden brown.
- Store unused patties in Tupperware.
- To serve: Salsa, guacamole, cheese slice, lettuce OR sliced tomatoes, mayonnaise, cheese slice, sliced avocado on toasted burger buns.
Fantastic! I made this for my family on New Year's Day. Now we will all have good luck!
Excellent recipe! I used to make these but lost the recipe ... good, because these are much tastier! I also added lots of freshly ground cumin. Dave had 3rd helpings! Very successful - thank you!
These are very good! I used my cookie scoop to form small patties. I got 20+. Next time I will use 1/4 cup flour. The patties were just a little too stiff and doughy. I also added a lot more cumin and about 1 tsp of chili powder to suit our taste. Thank you!