Recipe by yogiclarebear
This came from a food blog, Eating Well, Living Thin. (http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/) Linda the author says: "Black-eyed peas are supposed to bring good luck and prosperity when eaten on New Years. This soup is easy, filling and just full of wonderful nutrients! Serve with thick-sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and fresh basil and some crusty garlic toast for your family on one of these cold winter days. Will it bring you good luck? Sure…why not!!!!"
Top Review by liliya_99
This is very good. I didn't use the salsa. The sausage that I had wasn't smoked and I think the dish would really shine if I would use smoked sausage, which is how I will try it next time.
- 1 lb bulk smoked turkey sausage or 1 lb Italian turkey sausage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups frozen black-eyed peas (about 1 1/2 sixteen-ounce pkgs)
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup chipotle salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, cook sausage in olive oil. Remove sausage from pan, leaving drippings.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and green pepper. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in sausage, peas, broth, tomatoes, oregano, basil, black pepper and salt to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in salsa, if desired.