Recipe by Vino Girl
I have not tried this yet, but it uses Black Currant Tea, which is one of my favorite tea flavors. I have a feeling other teas would also work. From Cooking Light (October 2003).
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 6 black currant tea bags (such as Twinings)
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat sour cream
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 black currant tea bag (such as Twinings)
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F°.
- CAKE: Pour 2/3 cup boiling water over 6 tea bags in a bowl; steep 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard tea bags; cool tea to room temperature.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat until well blended or about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and brewed tea mixture alternately to sugar mixture; mix after each addition.
- Spoon batter into a 10-inch tube pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes on a wire rack.
- Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- GLAZE: Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over 1 tea bag in a medium bowl; steep 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard tea bag.
- Add powdered sugar and juice to brewed tea, stirring well with a whisk.
- Drizzle glaze over cake.