Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen Rooibos tea a refreshing, caffeine free with a slightly nutty flavour that comes from the leaves of the South African red bush. Honeybush tea is similar but has a sweeter flavour. NOTE: Time to cook includes 2 hour refrigeration time.
- 4 rooibos tea bags or 4 honeybush tea bags
- 473.18 ml black currants or 473.18 ml blueberries
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- Steep tea in 8 cups (2 L) boiling water for 5 minutes. Discard bags.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, bring currants or blueberries, sugar and 1 cup water to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring, until fruit breaks down (about 5 minutes).
- Add to tea; let cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Refrigerate until cold (about 2 hours).
- Strain through cheesecloth-lined sieve into pitcher, pressing solids only gently so beverage remains clear.
- Serve with ice cubes.
Wanted the sweeter version of this iced tea so tracked down the honeybush tea, but wasn't able to get the currents so used blueberries, & this recipe made for some very flavorful tea, & I'll probably be making this nicely satisfying tea as long as I can find the berries! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hits recipe tag]
I made this this morning using vanilla rooibos and the black currents. What can I say other than Great Tasting Tea! :D
Really good! I used blueberries and loved it. So flavorful. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7 for the Vivacious Violets.