Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen Rooibos tea a refreshing, caffeine free with a slightly nutty flavour that comes from the leaves of the South African red bush. Honeybush tea is similar but has a sweeter flavour. NOTE: Time to cook includes 2 hour refrigeration time.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Wanted the sweeter version of this iced tea so tracked down the honeybush tea, but wasn't able to get the currents so used blueberries, & this recipe made for some very flavorful tea, & I'll probably be making this nicely satisfying tea as long as I can find the berries! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hits recipe tag]
- 4 rooibos tea bags or 4 honeybush tea bags
- 2 cups black currants or 2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Steep tea in 8 cups (2 L) boiling water for 5 minutes. Discard bags.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, bring currants or blueberries, sugar and 1 cup water to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring, until fruit breaks down (about 5 minutes).
- Add to tea; let cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Refrigerate until cold (about 2 hours).
- Strain through cheesecloth-lined sieve into pitcher, pressing solids only gently so beverage remains clear.
- Serve with ice cubes.