Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the EASIEST dark chocolate cake yet. It is super-chocolaty and very moist. I've been using this recipe for 30-years. NOTE: Here's a substitute for the one cup buttermilk: 2/3 cup plain yogurt plus 1/3 cup milk.
- Beat it all together in one big bowl.
- The batter will be very thin.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13 x 9 inch pan or two 9-inch layer pans.
- Bake 350°F for 35-40 minutes.
- * This is great when filled with creamy peanut butter and frosted with dark chocolate frosting.
Delicious! So rich and chocolately, not to mention super simple to throw together! I used vegetable oil instead of grapeseed.
This is an amazingly moist cake! I split the batter between two pans, and layered apricot preserves between the two, before icing. Everyone loved it--definitely one that I'll be making again and again!
Great recipe! I have tried many recipes for chocolate cake, several of them very good, but I think this will be the chocolate cake that I will turn to again and again. I love a white icing against the dark chocolate and used the icing from Cocoa and Cream Cake. Great combo. Thanks for sharing your recipe.