It's great to know folks like this sauce so much! I wish I could take credit for it but it was adopted after the original member left. Thank you, all, just the same. I have made the recipe with regular brewed coffee but highly recommend the espresso. In a pinch use strong instant if you have nothing else. The acid of the coffee balances the sweetness of the other ingredients.
- 1⁄2 cup brewed coffee, espresso preferred
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons hot dry mustard, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cumin, ground
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Cool, then puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in a covered container.