Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Dark rich and moist, this is a chocolate cake lover's dream! This complete recipe may be mixed by hand using a whisk, make certain to grease your baking dish generously for this see my Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!) and also make certain the water is boiling hot and the brewed coffee is hot and strong, use your own favorite frosting or see Kittencal's Chocolate Frosting/Icing
Top Review by Juenessa
This recipe is rich and chocolatey! I love how the coffee enhances the flavor of the chocolate and gives the cake such an intense flavor. I used 1/2 cup regular cocoa powder and 1/2 cup special dark cocoa powder. I also frosted the cake with a double recipe of recipe #192131. Then, topped the glaze with mini-peanut butter cups. Yum!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups white sugar (reduce sugar to 1-1/2 cups for a less sweeter cake)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup hot boiled water
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee (or use boiling water mixed with instant coffee granules)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees (oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Generoulsy grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt; set aside.
- Place the hot boiled water into a heat-proof mixing bowl along with the hot brewed coffee; add in the shortening and mix until melted.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Stir un the flour mixture until blended, then beat in eggs (batter will be thin).
- Pour the batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cake test done.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.