Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Love that intense chocolate flavor! Serve this biscotti with a nice hot cup of coffee or cocoa! Cook time also reflects cooling. Discovered this recipe on Godiva.com.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped (use premium dark chocolate for best results)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder, dissolved in
- 3⁄4 teaspoon boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 1⁄2 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped (use a premium milk chocolate for best results)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts or 1 cup hazelnuts or 1 cup almonds or 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 large egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Position racks to the upper and lower thirds of oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line two jelly roll pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the dark chocolate and let mixture rest 1 minute.
- Stir gently until the chocolate is melted and smooth; set aside.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl; whisk thoroughly; set aside.
- Mix the Kahlúa, dissolved espresso powder and vanilla in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with electric mixture on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, in 3 additions, mixing for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Beat 1 minute longer.
- Reduce speed to medium low.
- Add Kahlúa mixture and chocolate butter mixture; mix thoroughly scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- On low speed, add dry ingredients, in 2 additions, mixing only to combine.
- Using rubber spatula, fold in chopped chocolate and nuts.
- Let batter stand for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Portion the dough onto the jelly roll pans, forming 4 logs, each measuring 1 1/2 inches wide by 12 inches long, smoothing tops and sides with moistened hands.
- Brush tops and sides with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until tops are just set.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F Carefully place 1 log at a time on a cutting board. Using a thin, sharp serrated knife cut into generous 1/2 inch slices.
- Lay slices on their sides and toast in oven for 12 minutes.
- Turn the slices over carefully and toast for 8 minutes longer.
- Allow cookies to cool on pans; the biscotti will become firm and crisp as they cool.
- Store biscotti, layered between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
- If desired, biscotti may be frozen for up to 3 months.