Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This sorbet is slightly sweet and refreshing with a smooth, warm vanilla undertone. Please note "Preparation Time" includes time needed for the simple syrup to chill, time needed for the sorbet to churn in an ice cream maker as well time needed for freezing solid. If you like, you may choose to serve this sorbet directly after churning without freezing for 3-5 hours, but please be aware that the sorbet will be softer and melt much faster.
- Place sugar and water into a small saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolves. Bring mixture to a rolling boil. Continue to boil for 10-15 minutes or until a thin, syrup consistency is reached (syrup should coat the back of a spoon). Stir in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool. Then pour into a separate container and refrigerate until completely chilled (1-2 hours).
- Place cherries and simple syrup in a 5-quart food processor. Using a chopping blade, puree until mixture is smooth and frothy.
- Using a fine wire mesh sieve, strain mixture to separate cherry skins to reach a smoother consistency. Repeat if necessary. (Note: If you don't mind a naturally pulpy consistency, you may prefer not to separate the skins from the mixture).
- Place mixture into the freezer tub of your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions for freezing. It took only 15 minutes for my machine to churn and freeze.
- With a rubber spatula, turn sorbet into a freezer container. Freeze for 3-5 hours or until desired texture is reached.