Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Food & Wine.
Make and share this Black Cherry Iced Tea recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 lb fresh black cherries, pitted or 2 (10 ounce) bagsfrozen pitted black cherries, thawed
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 whole star anise
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 16 green tea bags
- mint sprig, for serving
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the black cherries, sugar, lemon juice, star anise and the vanilla bean with its seeds.
- Simmer the cherries over low heat for 15 minutes, crushing them against the side of the pan with a wooden spoon. Remove the cherries from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Strain the cherry juice through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan, pressing on the solids.
- Discard the solids. Bring the cherry juice to a boil over moderate heat. Remove from the heat, add the tea bags and let steep for 5 minutes. Discard the tea bags and let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the cherry tea to a large pitcher and refrigerate until chilled or for up to 2 days. Serve the tea over ice, garnished with mint sprigs.