Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A dark Russian rye bread made in the ABM. This uses applesauce for the fat, but vegetable oil can be used instead. Cook times will vary, depending on your machine.
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons applesauce (or vegetable oil)
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2⁄3 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups rye flour
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread pan in order listed by your manufacturer.
- Select basic white bread setting.
- When done, remove from pan and cool on wire rack 30 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm with butter, or use for rueben sandwiches.
We really loved this bread. I used it to make toast this morning, and look forward to having it at lunch in a sandwich using leftover Christmas ham. I made it as written except I used vegetable oil instead of the applesauce, and bread flour instead of the all-purpose flour. This makes a slightly dense loaf with a nice texture that slices easily. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.
**Made for 2011 Football Pool**
I used oil for the choice, didn`t have cider vinegar so I used regular. Skipped the onion flakes. for 1/2 cup of the water I used brewed coffee in place of the instant coffee. Which may be why my bread didn`t rise much. It was so very yummy in flavor. The crust was nice a crisp. Making for Comfort cafe http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=288536&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=915 Thanks!
We really enjoyed this bread. The fennel and caraway seeds add so much flavor. I did use the olive oil in place of the apple sauce. The texture is wonderful and even slightly warm the bread sliced nicely. This was served with Cider Beef Stew for Two. It also makes wonderful toast.