Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A dark Russian rye bread made in the ABM. This uses applesauce for the fat, but vegetable oil can be used instead. Cook times will vary, depending on your machine.
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons applesauce (or vegetable oil)
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2⁄3 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups rye flour
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread pan in order listed by your manufacturer.
- Select basic white bread setting.
- When done, remove from pan and cool on wire rack 30 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm with butter, or use for rueben sandwiches.
We really loved this bread. I used it to make toast this morning, and look forward to having it at lunch in a sandwich using leftover Christmas ham. I made it as written except I used vegetable oil instead of the applesauce, and bread flour instead of the all-purpose flour. This makes a slightly dense loaf with a nice texture that slices easily. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.
**Made for 2011 Football Pool**
I used oil for the choice, didn`t have cider vinegar so I used regular. Skipped the onion flakes. for 1/2 cup of the water I used brewed coffee in place of the instant coffee. Which may be why my bread didn`t rise much. It was so very yummy in flavor. The crust was nice a crisp. Making for Comfort cafe http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=288536&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=915 Thanks!
We really enjoyed this bread. The fennel and caraway seeds add so much flavor. I did use the olive oil in place of the apple sauce. The texture is wonderful and even slightly warm the bread sliced nicely. This was served with Recipe #292350. It also makes wonderful toast.