A dark Russian rye bread made in the ABM. This uses applesauce for the fat, but vegetable oil can be used instead. Cook times will vary, depending on your machine.
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons applesauce (or vegetable oil)
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2⁄3 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups rye flour
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread pan in order listed by your manufacturer.
- Select basic white bread setting.
- When done, remove from pan and cool on wire rack 30 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm with butter, or use for rueben sandwiches.