Prep 4 hrs
Cook 40 mins
You might feel like a mad chemist when you mix this all together, but the results are worth it.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 cups unsifted white flour
- 1 cup unsifted rye flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-bran cereal, crushed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons melted margarine
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup water, vinegar, molasses and cocoa over medium heat until boiling.
- cool to lukewarm.
- Insert steel blade in food processor.
- In container, combine flours, bran cereal, caraway seeds, honey, salt, coffee and onion powder.
- Add margarine and process 20-30 seconds or until mixture is well combined.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
- With processor running, add yeast gradually through feed tube, then add molasses mixture, processing until dough forms a ball, clearing the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and dnead 2-3 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top.
- cover and let rise in a warm place, until double in size, about 2 hours.
- Punch dough down.
- Shape into a ball and palce in center of a greased 8" round cake pan.
- cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes To glaze bread and give it a shiny crust, combine cornstarch and cold water in a saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- contineu to cook for 1 minutes.
- As soon as bread is baked, brush cornstarch mixture over top of loaf.
- Return bread to 350F oven and bake 2-3 minutes longer or until glaze is set.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
this was fun to make and tastes great too.
Enjoyed this recipe very much. The bread is scrumptuous and have been looking for a recipe like this. Thank you! Margie