Linda Joyce's Note:
Outstanding hearty black bread with fabulous crust. This recipe is on the back of Fleischmann's RapidRise Yeast. After living in Germany for almost a year I developed a real appreciation for their hearty bread. Now I can make some in my own kitchen. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 cups rye flour
- 1/4 ounce fleischmann's fast rising yeast, 1 envelope
- 3/4 cup wheat all-bran cereal
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate square
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Set aside 1 cup all-purpose flour from total amount.
- 2Mix remaining flours, undissolved yeast, wheat bran cereal, caraway seeds, salt and coffee in a large bowl.
- 3In a sauce pot heat water, molasses, vinegar, butter and chocolate until very warm, 120 - 130 degrees F.
- 4Stir liquids into dry ingredients. Mix in enough reserved flour to make a soft dough that does not stick to the bowl.
- 5Turn onto floured surface and knead 5 minutes. Shape into smooth ball; transfer to a greased baking sheet.
- 6Loosely cover dough; let rise 40 minutes, or until almost double in size.
- 7Beat egg white and water; brush on surface of bread.
- 8Bake at 400 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.
- 9Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bran Bread
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.9
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 271.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 5.7 g