Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Outstanding hearty black bread with fabulous crust. This recipe is on the back of Fleischmann's RapidRise Yeast. After living in Germany for almost a year I developed a real appreciation for their hearty bread. Now I can make some in my own kitchen. Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups rye flour
- 1⁄4 ounce fleischmann's fast rising yeast, 1 envelope
- 3⁄4 cup wheat all-bran cereal
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate square
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Set aside 1 cup all-purpose flour from total amount.
- Mix remaining flours, undissolved yeast, wheat bran cereal, caraway seeds, salt and coffee in a large bowl.
- In a sauce pot heat water, molasses, vinegar, butter and chocolate until very warm, 120 - 130 degrees F.
- Stir liquids into dry ingredients. Mix in enough reserved flour to make a soft dough that does not stick to the bowl.
- Turn onto floured surface and knead 5 minutes. Shape into smooth ball; transfer to a greased baking sheet.
- Loosely cover dough; let rise 40 minutes, or until almost double in size.
- Beat egg white and water; brush on surface of bread.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.