Recipe by TommyGato
I've enjoyed zucchini cakes, cobbler, and breads that I've found here and hope that you'll enjoy these moist, cake like brownies--they disappear fast here! I love them with the glaze but they're very good without it too. My garden is in zucchini overload and I thought this recipe would be helpful to other zucchini lovers. The brownies were inspired by Monica Resinger's Black-Bottom Zucchini Bars and the glaze is based on a recipe from the Cake Doctor's book.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Tasty! Brownies were a little dry so I'd suggest watching the baking time, and for some reason I had difficulty with the topping, ended up having to add powdered sugar to make it thick enough for a glaze. The family gobbled them up and never suspected they were eating zucchini. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
For the Brownies
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh zucchini (finely shredded and drained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
For the Glaze
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup canned milk (half and half if you prefer)
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Stir the first 4 ingredients by hand until well combined. Drain any liquid from the shredded zucchini, add and mix until completely coated.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder soda and salt and add it to the zucchini mixture. Stir until the dry ingredients are evenly combined and add any optional ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix half of the batter with the coca then spread evenly over the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread the remaining batter over the top until the chocolate batter is covered.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned and the center tests done.
- Cool for about 5-10 minutes, while you prepare the glaze.
- Combine sugar, butter and canned milk in a small pan and stir occasionally on stovetop until it begins to boil.
- Stir continuously for 1 minute while the mixture boils then remove from heat and add the chocolate chips.
- Stir until smooth and spread evenly over brownies (add a little more butter if needed for good spreading consistency).
- After brownies have cooled and the glaze is set, cut and enjoy!