Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
A great ending to a not so heavy Italian dinner.
- 1 graham cracker crust (store-bought or homemade, 10 inches)
Black Bottom Coating
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup or 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream or 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Refrigerate crust until ready to use.
- In the top of a double-boiler set over, not in, barely simmering water, combine the butter, corn syrup, and chocolate chips.
- Let sit until the chocolate melts, 5-6 minutes, then whisk to smooth.
- Remove the insert and scrape the mixture into the chilled pie shell; smooth it over the bottom and most of the way up the side of the shell; refrigerate while you make the filling.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Use an electric mixer to beat ricotta, sugar, and eggs together in a big bowl until evenly mixed.
- Add in cream, zests, extracts, and salt; beat until blended.
- Slowly pour the filling into the chocolate-lined shell.
- Place pie on center oven rack; bake 30 minutes, then rotate pie 180°.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until the center is set (no longer soupy).
- When done, the edge of the filling will be golden brown and will likely have risen slightly.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool.
- Serve barely warm or at room temperature, or cover loosely with tented foil and refrigerate until ready to serve.