Recipe by Julie B's Hive
A simple to make crust makes this pie just different enough and if you dislike making pie crusts then this one's for you. From My Great Recipes. Chill time not included.
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) unflavored gelatin
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 (2 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons rum or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rum flavoring
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups gingersnap crumbs, finely crushed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE CRUST:.
- Thoroughly blend the gingersnap crumbs and melted butter. Press on bottom and sides of 9-in pie pan with back of tablespoon. Bake at 350° about 10 minutes. Do not over brown. Cool before filling.
- MAKE FILLING:.
- Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup of the milk. Scald remaining milk in top of double boiler over boiling water.
- Beat egg yolks. Blend in 1/2 cup of the sugar, salt and cornstarch. Add remaining milk slowly, stirring constantly.
- Return to double boiler and cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until custard coats spoon. Remove from heat. Set aside 1/2 cup custard.
- Add gelatin to remainder and stir until dissolved. Chill.
- Melt 1 1/2 squares of the chocolate. Blend in reserved 1/2 cup custard and vanilla. Pour into crust. Spread evenly. Chill.
- When remaining custard begins to set, blend in rum. Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in remaining sugar. Fold in custard. Spread over chocolate mixture in pie plate.
- Combine whipped cream and powdered sugar. Spread some over custard. Use a pastry tube with star tip and pipe rest around edges. Shave remaining chocolate over top.
- Chill 4-6 hours.