Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very rich, chocolate and rum flavored dessert.
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk (not low fat)
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (good quality)
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 9-inch baked pie shell (not graham cracker crust)
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped until peaks form and hold their shape (for topping)
- shaved chocolate (for garnishing)
- Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water.
- In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, salt and cornstarch, gradually stir in the milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Slowly stir the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks.
- Return egg mixture (custard) to sauce pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of the hot custard into the chocolate chips, stirring (by hand) until well blended.
- Stir vanilla into chocolate custard and pour into baked pie shell.
- Chill until filling is cooled (about 20-30 minutes).
- Mix gelatin into the remaining custard mixture and cool.
- Stir rum flavoring to cooled custard.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff, then gradually beat in a 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Fold egg whites into the rum flavored custard.
- Pour the rum custard into the pie shell on top of the chocolate custard.
- Chill for 2-3 hours or until well set.
- Just before serving, top pie with whipped cream and garnish with shaved chocolate.