A lighter version of these scrumptious cupcakes. (From "Lighten Up" by Elaine Magee)
Make and share this Black-Bottom Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
Cream Cheese Filling
- 3⁄4 cup fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Line 18 muffin cups with foil or paper baking cups.
- To make the cream cheese filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese, vanilla, sugar, and egg until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Add the water, oil, sour cream, vinegar, and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full with batter.
- Top each with Tablespoon of cream cheese mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until cream cheese mixture is light golden brown.
- Cool for 15 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool completely; store in refrigerator.
My Mom used to make these for us as kids but since my metabolism doesn't function as well as it did when I was 13 I was thrilled to see a low fat version :) Even without the added fat and calories, they turned out just as I remember..moist chocolate cupcakes with a creamy "cheesecake" center!! I didn't have the full amount of chocolate chips but it didn't effect the taste for us at all and saved a few calories to boot! Thanks for posting!
All I can say about these are YUM! What a wonderful treat that is lowfat! I used all mini-choc chips and sprayed my muffin liners with cooking spray. Great Recipe, Thanks for sharing!
Great tasting muffins! Used low-fat cream cheese and a mix of chocolate and butterscotch chips. Made 15 muffins. The only little problem... they stuck a bit to the paper baking cups... but that didn't stop us from enjoying them!!! Thanks Elaine!