Recipe by Chef Leila
A moist & delicious cupcake my Grandma Burkholder used to make & then my Mom used to make. I was the only kid in elementary school whose Mom used to bring this kind of cupcake & they were the favorite!! They're like having a moist chocolate cake with a little cheesecake in the middle!! Everyone else's Mom made cupcakes from a boxed cake, boooo. BTW... the demerara sugar just really makes the tops of these cupcakes shine & look professional versus regular sugar.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup demerara sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 24 cupcake liners
- Pam cooking spray (or any non-stick spray, but NOT the one with flour in it)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the first five ingredients together (flour, 1c sugar, cocoa, soda, 1/2 tsp salt). In a separate bowl whisk together the water, oil, vinegar, & vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients & whisk together. This will be a thin batter.
- In a SEPARATE BOWL mix the cream cheese, egg, 1/3 c sugar, 1/8 tsp salt together. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- If you don't want to use the cupcake liners then you MUST generously butter the cupcake pans. Otherwise, drop in the paper liners & give a little spritz of Pam in each cupcake.
- Fill each cup about 1/3 full with the chocolate batter, then drop a heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center.
- Sprinkle with the demerara sugar. (And sliced almonds if you like).
- Bake at 350 until the "cheesecake center" is firm.