This recipe is always a hit with everyone, but especially with kids and chocolate lovers. I've had this since back in the 1970's, and it was one of the first recipes I saved as a teenager. Nice and chocolate-y, and who can resist the sweet cream cheese?
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil (I prefer Extra Light Olive Oil)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cupcake cups into miniature cupcake pans.
- Make the topping: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt until creamy and smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Make the cupcake batter: Sift together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the liquid ingredients: water, cooking oil, vinegar and vanilla, and beat for one minute on low speed, then for another minute on medium speed. (The batter may be a little thin.).
- Fill small cupcake cups about halfway (or a little more) with the chocolate batter. Drop a scant teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture on top.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Makes 4 dozen.
- (tip: use a piping back, or a zip lock bag with the corner cut out, to fill the cupcake cups with the batter, especially if you are doubling this recipe for a crowd.).