Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
They're cupcakes with black bottoms.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 unbeaten egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt. Beat well and stir in chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat until well combined until cups 1/3 full with chocolate batter.
- Top each one with a heaping teaspoon full of cream cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. Check after 25 minutes so cheese mixture does not get too brown.
This recipe is identical to the Black Bottom Cupcake recipe from the Joy of Cooking, except for cooking time. "Joy" has cook time of 20-25 minutes, which is just about right. I'd think the cakes would be overcooked after 30 minutes. Anyway, these cupcakes are pretty and delicious! I'd suggest using high quality Dutch process cocoa for a richer, more chocolately cupcake.
These were very very moist. They barely cooled before my son and his friends had half of them gone! I didn't have chocolate chips, so I chopped up a little semi-sweet chocolate. Thanks for a very good recipe!