Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Team up two familiar treats—a rich chocolate brownie and a chewy coconut macaroon—and indulge in a decadent sweet.
FOR CHOCOLATE BASE
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
FOR COCONUT TOPPING
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 (7 ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut, 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling
- For chocolate base: Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving a slight overhang; butter bottom and sides of foil (not overhang).
- Place butter in a large microwave-safe bowl; melt in microwave. Add sugar and salt; whisk to combine. Whisk in egg, then cocoa and flour until smooth. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake just until sides begin to pull away from edges of pan, 10 to 15 minutes (do not overbake). Let cool slightly while preparing coconut topping. Keep oven on for topping.
- For coconut topping: In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with sugar and vanilla. Gently mix in flour and coconut (except ½ cup reserved for sprinkling).
- Drop mounds of mixture over chocolate base; spread and pat in gently and evenly with moistened fingers. Sprinkle with reserved ½ cup coconut.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
- Lift cake from pan, peel off foil, and cut into 16 bars. Store in an airtight container 3 to 4 days.
I think I overcooked mine. It has a great flavor though! Very easy recipe/
These are decadent! Very easy and very delicious. I will make these again. Thanks for sharing.